Wednesday, February 29, 2012

VOTM - Just Barely Made It

Thank heavens it's a leap year, because without it I would have failed with my personal Vegetable of the Month challenge.  And to fail only 2 months in to this endeavor, might have just flat out defeated me.

But thanks to the 29th day in February I was able to squeeze in my third (and most likely final) attempt at making brussel sprouts.

To recap, Brussel Sprouts way #1 was sauteed in a pan with some oil, garlic, shallots and bacon.  Pretty good.  Mostly likely because of the bacon.  For Way #2 I roasted the little guys.  Decent.  For Way #3 it was back in a pan with some garlic, a touch of butter, oil and chicken stock.  Yuck.  Out and out yuck.

I really, really wanted to like brussel sprouts.  After I posted my sprouts entry on Facebook, I was overloaded with emails, FB messages and links to blogs with recipes to try out.  I was even treated to a very fun email from my aunt with stories of my maternal grandmother (whom my oldest daughter is named after) and how she liked to cook this veggie.  Food was connecting me to friends and family, so I was even more determined to blog today that I was a brussel sprouts convert, and then just rave about how much I love these little green mini cabbages.  And pat myself on the back because "look how healthy I am.  I'm a real food foodie that not only eats, but loves, brussel sprouts."

But all said and done, I just didn't like them.  I tried.  I stayed open minded.  But there's a pretty good chance that I'll never make another brussel sprout again in my entire life.  Although, my husband liked all 3 ways I made them so maybe for him I'll add them in to our rotation every so often.  Maybe.

Now it's time to think of March's Vegetable of the Month.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Josh would eat dirty rocks if you deep fried them first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about sweet potatoes - one of my favotites.

    ReplyDelete