Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ghee

Ghee = Indian Clarified Butter

Not that that means all that much to me, but after reading about ghee in my local paper's food section a couple of weeks back, I was interested in trying it out.   What intrigued me were statements like this, "ghee is a rich indulgence" and ghee "is butter on steroids."  You had me at butter.  So off I went to Whole Foods to poke around until I found it...not the easiest thing I've ever done since I really didn't know what I was looking for AND I went on a Saturday afternoon when it was wall to wall people.  But there were free dark chocolate tastings so I couldn't be too annoyed, right?

So I found my ghee, paid just over $5 for the jar, cut out the recipe from the paper, and got busy cooking.  Best case, I'd have a yummy new recipe (and cooking oil) in my rotation.  Worst case we could have salad for dinner...and popcorn, with regular butter.

Long story short, the meal was decadent.  Butter on steroids is an understatement.  It was rich and creamy.  Almost sinful.  Just look at that golden color on the ravioli!

Ghee = Deliciousness

Have you ever tried ghee?  If so, let me know some of your favorite uses!
For those interested, here is the recipe I used (from the January 25 Daily Progress Food Section, by J.W. Hirsch, the Associated Press):
Ravioli with Fried Sage, Asparagus and Walnuts
Ingredients
  • 10-ounce package fresh cheese ravioli
  • 3 tablespoons Ghee
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 5 large Sage leaves, left whole
  • 1 bunch asparagus, bottoms trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, lightly chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
Directions
  1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.  Add the ravioli and cook according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the ghee.  Add the red pepper flakes and sage leaves, then fry until the sage is crisp.
  3. Remove the sage from the pan and set aside.  Return the pan to the heat and add the asparagus.  Saute until just tender, 4-5 minutes. 
  4. Add the walnuts, toss well, then add the ravioli and toss again.  Crumble the fried sage leaves into the dish.  Season with salt and pepper.  Other variations: Instead of asparagus and walnuts, try almonds and cauliflower, or pistachios and baby bella mushrooms.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, that looks amazing. I may have to pick up gee the next time I'm in Whole Foods (which will be soon). Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to cook Indian, but I've never actually used ghee. I've see in at Whole Paycheck, but have yet to get some.

    ReplyDelete