Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It Sure is Heavy

Believe it or not, I've never made a lasagna.  Not once.  Never.

Why not?  Well, I don't really know why not.  Maybe I thought it was too intimidating.  Maybe I thought it would turn out bad.  Maybe I thought it was too fattening (back when I believed that no fat = healthy).

Well I'm proud to say that I've made my first lasagna!

Tonight I tackled Spinach Lasagna roll-ups - basic lasagna cheese mixture (or at least I assume it's basic...like I said this was my first time at the rodeo), add some spinach, spread mixture on each cooked lasagna noodle, roll up, put spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9x9 pan (for the record, I made my own sauce...YUM!), make 9 roll-ups, cover with more sauce, mozzarella, bake covered, uncover and broil until cheese turns into a delicious bubbly brown color.

As I was putting my dish into the oven, a funny thing happened.  I had a incredibly vivid, wonderful memory of my Uncle Tom.  Uncle Tom passed away when I was in high school, but one of the things I'll never forget about him is every time he made a lasagna for our family gatherings - every single time - he'd say "it may not be good, but it sure is heavy."  Tonight when I lifted up my lasagna I was surprised how heavy it was, and of course I thought "it may not be good, but it sure is heavy."  I was immediately transported back to my aunt's and uncle's house, with my cousins and their cat Beezus.  I was in that kitchen (which if I remember correctly had a classic 70s yellow fridge and matching oven).  Technically I was right outside of the kitchen on a barstool at the counter.  My mom and my aunt (sisters) would be whirling about the kitchen getting everything else together for the meal.  Someone would be warning me not to touch the scalding hot pan.  Most likely later at dinner I'd slop sauce on the nice tablecloth.  After dinner I'd go to the formal living room and look at the "Rome - Then and Now" flip book.  Loved that book!

Just for the record, my uncle's lasagna was incredible.  Every single time he made it.  It was heavy AND delicious.  My lasagna tonight was delicious.  And even if it hadn't of turned out very well, I will make lasagna from now until my final days.  Food is first and foremost about nourishment, right?  Then after that food is about fun times.  Family.  Friends.  Memories.  Food should connect us...to our present and to our past. And tonight my lasagna did just that.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story! I love how food brings back family memories.

    ReplyDelete