Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting "Steamy" - Again

I've been away from this blog for way too long.  For those that read my family blog, you'll know why.  If you need a quick recap...2 weeks ago I twisted my knee wrong in a yoga class and 'pop' it went.  I've been slowly recovering, but I'm still in pain.  MRI results have been read and I have an appointment with an orthopedic doc tomorrow to find out what it shows.  So long story short, the pain took me out of the game for awhile.  Then the emotional aspects kicked in and took me out of the game for awhile longer. 

But now I'm back!  And what better way to get back in the game than by getting back in my kitchen.

As I wrote about in my last entry, I was selected to be a recipe tester for Jaden over at the Steamy Kitchen.  The deadline for testing is today so I knew last night was my last shot at working through a handful more recipes.  So I chose five recipes to try and invited our neighbors over to join in on the fun.  (For the record, I premixed all of the sauces and 'secret' stuff so as to not divulge the exact recipe ingredients.  I take this recipe testing seriously!)

Our neighbors brought wine, cheese, their culinary skills and lots of good conversation.  I "steamed" up the kitchen with the following menu:
- Miso Soup
- Steamed Asparagus tossed with a ginger-miso butter
- Cauliflower "Steaks"
- Seared Scallops over a bed of greens, topped with a tasty vinaigrette
- Blackened Tofu that had been rubbed in seasonings and topped with a soy-ginger sauce
- Plus I pulled out the frozen shrimp and spinach dumplings I made the first time I tested recipes...cooked those up too.

Oh my word.  It was a tasty night.  And fun.

Not to sound too old fashioned, too Norman Rockwell-ish, but the kids were outside, playing, enjoying the spring weather.  Instead of catching lightning bugs, they gathered up stink bugs.  Us ladies hunkered down in the kitchen and got busy cooking.  The men talked UVA sports. 

The format of the dinner was to eat each thing as it got plated up, (after I plated up the one perfect plate to photograph) then we talked about what we liked, would change, etc.  Then we'd drink more wine and start with the next dish.  All of the dishes, except for the miso soup, were mouth watering good.  Absolutely delicious and things that I will definitely make again.  The recipes also got me excited to buy Jaden's cookbook when it comes out.  The cookbook that will have my name listed in the "special thanks to" section :)

And without a doubt if there's money to be made as a Professional Recipe Tester, then count me in.

1 comment:

  1. You are, absolutely, the best official recipe tester that I know! and the photographs came out beautifully. Thanks for sharing -- I want to make these recipes...I also want to make the lettuce wraps and rice patty thingies. When will the cookbook come out? Any indications? I WILL want you to autograph it!

    ReplyDelete